Messages from the Mat

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rock and Roll music helped free my soul.

This weekend I felt a shift. A cosmic tuning in my reality and a subtle but sure shift towards something that feels like I've moved a little closer to my truth. It was an experience that left me a little more comfortable in my own skin, which was quite a feat given that I was wearing 4 inch leopard print heels for about 9 hours. Saturday evening I had the privilege of attending the induction ceremony to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I don't think I'll ever forget that night.

I've been in the arts for almost all my life. I started ballet at the young age of 5 and studied and danced jazz through high school until the instructor asked that we 'get creative' in our movement. I quit dancing class shortly after that. I was too scared to show you who I am on the inside.

After college, in my career I continued circling intimacy with art for over 20 years; keeping it always at arm's length. First as an accountant at the Dallas Museum, then as a scholar, and finally on to an art dealer. I was great at valuing, judging, selling, commenting on all of it, but ask me to paint a painting? Never. 

One of the best skills I learned as an art dealer was to appreciate art in all its forms. It became less an issue of taste and more about loving art for arts sake. I learned to love creativity in all its forms as an expression of one's inner soul.

I was reunited with that type of love of art at the induction ceremony. Here under one roof was represented some of the earliest roots of rock, to rockabilly, to wailing electric guitar, to rap as well as heavy metal. While some of the music was not my taste, per se, I appreciated and loved every note that was played. But what I loved even more were the acceptance speeches. The humbleness, the courage, the path of following your heart. It was the universal thread in all the recipient's words and in my opinion the most magic music of the whole night. It was much more than a musical extravaganza (well, OK, I admit when Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page riffed with the Immigrant Song it left me breathless!), it was all and all a spiritual message that said, listen to this: Don't be afraid to play your song. 

I'm not a painter, singer, nor do I play an instrument. But I am a yogi. I think yoga is a high art form, and it is teaching me to be intimate in life and show up as who I am. I think the girl who quit dancing is waking up and is finally starting to dance again. Yoga is my art, and teaching is my rock and roll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home